Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Vegetarian Carnival Entry - Why? How?

This is the story of how I became a vegetarian.

A couple of months ago at a long band practice I was talking to one of my friends who is a percussionist like me. He is in a Screamo band, he's reckless, lacks common sense, and loves attention. He recently made a bomb threat in our school, it cause a lot of trouble for him and his family but the bomb was fake. His idea of a joke.

Anyway, I set out to explain this person a head of time because he is the one who convinced my to try vegetarianism. He actually dared me to do if for a week and so not turning down this challenge I became a lacto-ovo vegetarian. I did well on my first six days, but absentmindedly the seventh day I ate beef jerky. That was the last time in almost six months that I ate meat.

In my first six days of vegetarianism my entire mindset about life changed. I didn't care if an animal was tortured or killed. I really wouldn't have cared if this happened to a person, even a close friend or family member. Now, I believe that ALL life is sacred, animals and people alike.

After learning the health benefits of vegetarianism, I saw how easy it is to adapt to a healthy lifestyle. I began working out, running, skateboarding, and also making new friends. I have met many other vegetarians, a very small petite girl (who is very annoying), a workout buddy who is aspiring to become a body builder, as well as many others who would take too much time to talk about. Vegetarianism changed my life.

I realized in this journey of enlightenment that anyone can be a vegetarian and also that if you are a vegetarian doesn't mean that you are small, weak, annoying, or stupid.

This post is for Vegetarian Blog Carnival

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Exactly, “anyone can be a vegetarian”. When I became one, I was surprised how simple it is. Way to go, Matthew!

Cheers from a fellow veggie :-)